UNDERSTANDING SOW FARROWING PROCESS
“Good management in the farrowing house is the key to the successful rearing of healthy pigs and low pre-weaning mortality”
Farrowing production target for 2016-2017
|Average total pigs born = 15 pigs/sow|
|Average pigs born alive = 14 pigs/sow|
|Average pigs weaned = 12.5 pigs/sow|
|Pre-weaning mortality < 10%|
|Average weaning weight 6.5 kg@ 21 days|
|Average litter weight gain = 2.8-3.0 kg/day|
How does sow farrowing process start?
– Gilts and large litter size sows are tend to have a shorten gestation length.
– Small litter size sows are tend to have a longer gestation length.
3 Stages of the farrowing process in sows
– Development of mammary glands and swelling vulva.
– Teat enlargement occurs, can see clearly the veins supplying the udder.
– Reduce appetite.
– Standing up and lying down.
– Chewing and moving the bedding around.
– Show making bed behavior.
– Piglets will delivery within 12 hours, milk is secreted into mammary gland (use gentle hand & finger massage).
– Slight mucous discharge on the vulva lips.
– See small round pellet of feces, called meconium.
– Piglets are getting ready to be pushed out of the uterus.
The farrowing process
– Piglets are usually delivered in every 15 minutes.
– Farrowing assistant must pay more attention to the sows that have problem at last farrowing process and old parity sows.
– Administer oxytocin to farrowing sows those deliver 6th-7th piglets at 20-30 IU/sow.
– NSAID injection such as Paracetamol, Dichlofenac, Tolfedine or Flunixin 2 days consecutively is recommended.
– Inject fast action antibiotic such as Ceftiofur sodium.
– If sow trying to push out the piglets but no piglets come out, farrowing assistants have to make decision to do farrowing assist.
Delivery of the placenta
– Sows will call piglets to sucking her milk.
– After the placenta has been delivered, there will a slight/sometime heavy discharge for the 2-3days.
– Wash and clean vulva area, udder and floor with mild disinfectants after farrowing process done is the most recommended.
– Normal farrowed sows with normal udder, they will eat well and no fever.
– Farrowed sows those show MMA symptoms, they will have longer and heavy discharge, eat less, got fever. Fast action antibiotics must be use for treatment such as Ceftiofur sodium.
Author: Dr. Paiboon Sungnak, D.V.M.
InterCons 3P Co., Ltd.